The Presbyterian Church in Norwood (PCIN) is known for its active, welcoming and caring congregation with a strong sense of mission and social justice. From feeding the poor during the Great Depression to helping to build schools in Central America, to supporting the victims of natural disasters to fighting hunger and homelessness right here in Bergen County, we strive to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.
PCIN was founded in 1869 by a group of area residents including prominent Northern Valley names such as Blauvelt, Demarest, Haring and LaRoche. Originally erected on Summit Street in 1868, PCIN’s historic sanctuary, which is recognized as a landmark structure by the Bergen County Historical Society, was later moved to its current location on Broadway between Summit and Tappan Road.
PCIN is known in the Presbytery of the Palisades (the local governing body of the Presbyterian Church, USA) as an open and affirming church welcoming all, regardless of race, gender, physical limitations or sexual orientation. Members come not only from Norwood, Northvale and Harrington Park, but from as far away as Montvale, Westwood and Tenafly.
Mission activities of the Norwood church have been far-reaching. During the Great Depression, the church opened its doors to serve the hungry in the community. The church and several of its longstanding members were early supporters of the Civil Rights and Anti-War movements of the 1960s. In the 1990s we helped build schools in El Salvador and in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 we helped build new housing in New Orleans. We fight hunger and homeless around the globe and right here in Bergen County, regularly volunteering with Family Promise of Bergen County, Habitat for Humanity of Bergen County, Center for Food Action and Harrison House.